This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Rumored Pizza

Rumors somehow, someway get started, and regardless of what people think there’s some form of a kernel of truth in them. I’m not saying that rumors are 100% true, but I am saying that there is something in them in some direction that is true, or else they wouldn’t get started. Usually someone misunderstands or embellishes the truth that becomes the rumor, but still some inkling of truth is buried beneath the rubble. Rumors usually start somewhere with something. Around Phoenix, and in the travel mags and guidebooks I’ve been going through, there is a rumor that Pizzeria Bianco serves one of the top 3 pizzas in the world. Yes, I just said world. I did not say city, state, or country. I said world. My first thought is that I have to try it. My second thought is that we are not in Italy.The second rumor I hear is that there is on average a 3hr wait to get in. I laugh at the second rumor because in my opinion no food is worth sweating in the 100F Phoenix heat for three hours. I mean who in the world would do that? It’s our last night in Phoenix, so I decide that we should check out this miraculous pizza joint. I mean why not? Thinking that I’m going to beat this three hour wait and get there before anyone else, I drag my crowd down there at 4 o’ clock on a Tuesday afternoon while everyone is still at work. I mean who is going to be at a restaurant at 4? When we pull up, I’m shocked. There’s a crowd waiting outside, and the place doesn’t even open until 5. Ok, second part of the rumor has a bit of truth. People are mingling and sipping drinks from the bar next door. I march up to the door of the restaurant and knock thinking I’ll put my name on the list to get in at 5. The lady abruptly tells me that its a first come first serve basis, so basically I have to get in line behind everyone else. GEEZ. You could roast peppers in the sun right now, and we are expected to sit out here in the heat all for a little pizza.
And so we wait. 
And wait, and wait. 
About a quarter until 5, people start actually lining up in front of the door. I dart over and get behind the people in line because I heard another rumor that there aren’t many tables in the restaurant meaning that you really want to get that first seating. The doors open and the lady starts directing people toward their seats. The closer we get the more nervous I get that we aren’t going to get a table. Behind me, the line is wrapped down the sidewalk down past the bar. I don’t know if I would even bother if I were that far back. Inch by inch, we move closer. I peer over the other people’s shoulder trying to see if there are anymore free tables. There’s one and it only seats two. I cringe! Another hour wait. At the door, the lady asks me how many are in my party. 4. 
“4? ok.” She looks around. “Would you like to sit at the bar?”
Sure why not...I mean I’d rather go there than have to wait another hour outside. They let in two people after us and then they shut the door. I quickly count and there are only 44 people seated in this restaurant. The 3rd best pizza joint sits 44 people.
Ok so, here we go, let’s see what these people have got. 
The bartender recommends we order the antipasti saying that its his absolute favorite consisting of local vegetables, local cheese, and fresh baked farm bread. Sounds good to all of us. The place only offers 7 or 8 different kinds of pizza, and all are originals. We each decide to order a different one for variety. Katelin orders one with roasted onions and sausage, Jean orders the closest to a traditional margherita, mom orders one with red onions and pistachio nuts, and I am having issues decided between a white pizza with arugula and a red pizza with salami and olives. I really want the in house mozzarella on the white pizza, but I love red sauce. I express my dilemma to the waiter, and he tells me that he will solve my problem and simply surprise me. 
Ummm..ok why not? I smile and tell him that my experience is in his hands. 
I have an excellent view of the roaring wood fire pizza oven to my right, the very minimally stocked bar (they generally stick to local beers and wines) right in front of me, and the raucous noise of the 40 other pizza eaters behind me. The one room restaurant is made up of brick walls, tiny tables, and oil paintings of simple but gorgeous fruit. Simplicity reigns in this 
The much anticipated antipasti arrives in roaring color, edible art on a platter. Purplish olives, bright red roasted peppers, golden potatoes, yellow pecorino cheese with hot bread along the side. Everything is seasoned simply with salt, pepper, and olive oil. The key flavor in this dish is the freshness. The potatoes melt in my mouth and dissolve into a butter like consistency. My word.
Out of the corner of my eye, I see a man standing over near the kitchen emailing furiously on his blackberry. He is simply dressed in a blue shirt and jeans, and his hair is unkempt. Occasionally, he glances around and says something to the cooks shoving pizzas in the oven, but then he eagerly returns to his blackberry. I return to my food. Our  waiter asks us if there is anything he can get us, and instead of asking him for another drink or something, mom asks him about the jars of tomatoes on the wall above the pizza oven. 
“Did you guys can those tomatoes?” Mom asks eagerly. “I can tomatoes all the time when I’m home,” she smiles.
The waiter shrugs, but motions toward the blackberry guy. “Hey, Bianco, who canned those tomatoes?”
Bianco turns around and looks up at the tomatoes. “Oh, yeah that was my momma.”
He reaches over the bar and shakes my hand, “Nice to meet you, I’m Chris Bianco.” 
Chris Bianco as in Pizzeria Bianco, the owner and namesake of this joint, and the chef of the 3rd best tasting pizza in the world. 
I am instantly starstruck. We talk about how he came west from Brooklyn. We talk about his momma and his early days in her kitchen when he was only a child. We talk about his eagerness for local, fresh, organic ingredients. He tells me that his pizza dough is made daily with filtered water and organic flour, and that his pizza’s flavors is derived the fresh ingredients. When he finds out that we are driving to L.A., he immediately starts to list restaurants we need to try, and of course, he is friends with all of the owners. Mario Batali is his good friend, oh and Jamie Oliver is his “buddy.” Oprah and her best friend Gail have eaten here several times. Rightt...This one room restaurant is turning into an eating studio, home to a food artist who is connected and connected well. 
He chats to all four of us about our drive and wishes us well before he heads outside to return to his blackberry. I smile at mom. This is way too cool.
Our pizzas arrive. My surprise is set before me, and I squeal in delight. The guy made me a halfer. I got a half white and a half red with fresh mozzarella, arugula, olives, and salami. I feel like I’m looking at a canvas. More edible art. Part of me wants to just stare at the beauty and the other part of me is dying to eat this wonder. I cannot stand it any longer and eat a piece of the white side first. 
Fresh Arugula, buttery mozzarella, salty pecorino on that ridiculous fresh crust - oh my goodness! It’s delicious. Ridiculously delicious! I believe the rumor. Granted, I haven’t circled the globe, but I have been to several places in this world, and this is by far some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. I get about the same response from my three companions. Yes, it’s that good. My red side is just as good, but in a completely different flavor category. 
Mom’s odd combo of red onions and pistachio nuts is outrageous.
Katelin and Jean rave about theirs as well. 
Who would have known? Who would have believed it?
Chris comes back with some fresh peaches from his garden outside and tells us to take them for our road trip. He doesn’t want us to get hungry. He smiles, wishes us the best, continues on with his blackberry, an artist in his own world, his own stage, his own little element. 
I take another bite of my outstanding pizza and relish this moment, for by far this is definitely one of the best.
Yeah, this is definitely one of the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment