This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Diggin' Denver



So our time in Utah has come to end. After our cutesy stint in Moab, it's time for us to head to the big city. And by big city, I mean the mile high city of Denver, Colorado. After tiny Moab, Denver is going to seem like a behemoth, but there's nothing like a change of scene to shake up your world, so off we head to see what Colorado has to offer as a state. I have never had the pleasure of gracing it with my presence before, so I'm thinking that it is going to be quite interesting. Or at least I'm really hoping. We drive north from Moab to hit the I-70 which will take us to the heartland of the city. On the way, a little thing known as the Rocky Mountains happens to be standing in our way. Thankfully very brave men with lots and lots of dynamite came through years ago and blasted tunnels for us to make our way through, or we would have to be digging out pick axes, rope, and God knows what else to get over these gargantuan mountains. Happily, we have exchanged our very red palettes for a larger variety of blues, grays, greens, and brows. No longer are our eyeballs dominated by that outrageous red. Now, I didn't mind the red, but poor mom was ready for a bit of life again. The desert atmosphere was actually making her sad, or so she says. Most likely, she was simply missing my father and brother and used her accuse of disliking the desert to hurry us on our way.
(You're swell, mom ; )


One little thing though as we plow through Colorado, - it's raining buckets. Giant, giant buckets of rain are being dumped on our car as we head in toward Grand Junction. The rain is pounding and the wind is whipping, and our scenic road trip is becoming a very slow process through this mess. FANTASTIC!


Now I love rain, but just not when I'm driving. Rain is so soothing and gorgeous when I'm sitting in my library, reading a novel, sipping a cup of hot tea, not when I'm trying to drive 75mph down the interstate. No, that is when rain is just not acceptable. 
We decide to pull off in Grand Junction to take a break in hopes of the rain passing by the time we get back on the road. Jennifer nearly has a heart attack in the back seat when she finds out there is a chick-fil-a only minutes from us. The word has been spoken. We are stopping at chick-fil-a for our lunch break because southern-raised Jennifer misses her chicken sandwiches and sweet tea when she's in LA. I don't blame her. I mean sweet tea is a staple in my life. It is a necessity just like toothpaste, hot sauce, and coffee. You have to have it in your life. 
It all actually turns out to work perfectly because after we eat and pick up a few things at Target, the storm has finally passed, and we can cruise on into Denver with no rain to slow us down.


The drive through the mountains is breath-taking. Literally, we are driving through the mountains, under them, over them. I am having every relationship possible with them and their scenic views. My only complaint is all of the truckers on the road. I know they have to earn a living, but I wish, they would earn their living and stay on their side of the road at the same time. The winding roads whip and change direction over every bend and the trucks aren't exactly keeping with the flow of traffic. They are idiotically trying to BEAT the flow of traffic. Ummm excuse me, but that's my job, not yours. You are in a giant death machine whipping through the Rocky Mountains, and you are trying to outrun motorcycles, SUV's and sports cars...please, instill some sense in your brain! I nearly have a panic attack when we take a sharp right curb and the driver swerves completely into my lane. GREAT! A giant truck is on my left and a giant mountain is on my left. You might as well reduce me to an ant because I don't stand a chance if the two decide to have a little rendezvous. 


Thanks be to God, we made it to Denver in one piece which I assume you gathered by the fact that I am actually writing this right now. Such an intelligent reader...Anyways, our first stop in this lovely city is Savory Spice Shop which was made famous on the Food network when the owner was given her own show to show the world all the bazillion things that anyone can do with a grain of salt. It's amazing what that little seasoning will do. They should change the saying "Add Spice to Your Life" to "Add a Grain of Salt to Your Life." Seriously.
I'm not kidding. They have every kind of flavored salt imaginable. Black salts, Fleur Salts, smoky salts, PINK salts! Yes, there is such a thing as pink salt, there are also truffle flavored salts. Not the chocolate truffle, but the really expensive mushroom looking truffle that cost something like $80 an ounce. Yes, that is ridiculous. Yes, I tasted it, and it was fabulously outstanding. And no, I didn't buy any. Should have but didn't. I enjoy truffle. I mean how can you not?? When something is that expensive, you are almost obligated to like it. It's like that outrageously expensive bottle of champagne your friend buys you for your birthday. Even if you are not a champagne drinker, you have to enjoy every sip from that bottle. It is your obligation to humanity. Truffles have an odd smokiness to them, or at leasts that's what my oversensitive buds pick up. I make it a game to try all the different salts because I want to see if all these salts can really taste different. (They can! Shocker, I'm telling you.) 
Besides salts, this spice shop sells, welllll about everything. And yes, I mean EVERYTHING in the spice/seasoning world. A culinary heaven for anyone who enjoys stepping foot in their kitchen. They have anything and everything from grilling spices, to maple-flavored sugar, to Indian curry spices, to Amaretto Extract (although, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy the real thing), to steak mixes, chicken mixes, cinnamons, nutmegs, etc. Seriously if you've dreamed of it in the spice world it's here. 
Mom goes a bit crazy and begins gathering up everything. Apparently, we have a lot of cooking to do when we get home. I pick out some cheddar seasonings to season my popcorn! Oh this section makes me very happy. I can put all kinds of flavored cheddars on my popcorn. LOVE IT!! I mean who wants that boring white stuff, right??


After we leave momma's heaven, we head to my heaven on earth. The Tattered Cover Book Store!
I warned you about my dorkiness. Well, here it is exemplified! Walking in through the double doors, my heart skips a beat. I'm home! I suck in that old musty smell that only old books can give off, and begin wandering because I really don't know what else to do but wander in here. The Tattered Cover is Denver's equivalent to Portland's Powell's and Seattle's Elliott Bay Bookstore, but the TC isn't as humungous. Which is nice because in Portland, I felt like I was lost in a five story Costco building.  Bookstores give off character. They reflect their city. This one gives off a relaxed feeling, a nature's lover oasis in the city. Coloradoians definitely care about their outdoors and no wonder, it's jaw dropping out of every window. Many of the featured books cover hiking, biking, skiing, wildlife. The history section has a wonderful history of the cowboys and the Indians. Excitedly, I locate a discount hardcover special edition of Anne of Green Gables that I decide to buy to commemorate my little stint in here. Now whenever, I look at it's jade colored cover, it'll remind me of this glorious three-story wood beamed, rustic bookstore. Do you get the picture yet?
Just checking.
It's now time to eat, and we head to the Wazee Supper Club to order pizza. Jean has been craving pizza, and the locals suggested we come here for a low key atmosphere. Walking in, I immediately love this place because I know this isn't something that tourists would know about, this is the locals joint. Who wants to go to all the touristy spots when you can eat where the natives dine? We order massive pizzas and all share the same opinion on loving Denver, Colorado. Everyone here just seems extremely laid back. This has been one of the friendliest towns we've been in the past two weeks. Everyone has a suggestion, everyone has an idea for you. I like that. I love ideas.
The final idea for the night is for us to stroll down 16th St - a pedestrian only street with shops, restaurants, and street performers, and PIANOS! Yes, there are pianos for the taking on the streets which blows my mind for some random reason. They carry their own tune with outrageous artwork across their fronts, sides, and backs.  Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! Above us, a clock tower is lit up with red and blue lights, people are merrily singing and painting and playing chess along the street. I feel very grand right now. As far as I'm concerned, this city is all right in my books, and definitely makes it on my return list. 
I will be back because I am really diggin' Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment