This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Let's Put Moab on the MAP!!!!


So let's be honest...besides mormonism, what is Utah known for? I mean yeah, throw in Salt Lake City, and yeah that's about it. Utah is one of those states that will draw blanks, and I don't mean that in a mean way. It's just one of those things...sorry, Utah. 
You're beautiful!
Just thought I would throw that out there. 
Because Utah really is beautiful. We enter Utah via Monument Valley which is already a grand start. Like I said in my previous post, Monument Valley is exceptionally beautiful. Rocks have never drawn so much attention as these. They shoot up out of the desert all by their little lonesome. They wave at you to continue on your merry little way and that's the end of them. 
I don't want the rocks to end, but like all good things they slowly fade to nonexistence along our journey. Besides we've got somewhere fun to be tonight (or so I've been told). Actually, I'm not going to lie, I am a little bit skeptical. By suggestion from a dear friend, I have chosen to spend this night in Moab, Utah. According to google maps, there isn't much there, sooooo YAY!
But, I have on very good authority that Moab is adorable. (Abi, you had better be right!)
Originally I had planned to drive over to Telluride, Colorado, but apparently there is a festival going on there this week (what a shocker!), and there aren't any hotel rooms left under $600. Yes, $600, and being it would have been simply a 12 hour stopover until we headed on to Denver, I couldn't justify spending that much for one night under these circumstances. There is a time and place to drop $600, and this was not it. 
So, I mulled over maps and ransacked guidebooks for memorable places to stay in this area, and Abi walks up and points to the map and says to stay in Moab. 
Moab?
Yes, Moab!
Ok...
Moab actually has one significant tourist attraction, it is immediately south of Arches National Park. Why not check this place out? It's known for the Delicate Arch, a narrow arch that doesn't look like it should be standing, but it does stand on its two sides miraculously. 
I want to visit the park being we are so close, so we speed up along the interstate to make it before dusk.
The drive is predominantly red rocks and desert like surroundings, but slowly gives over to more greenery as we venture farther north. We draw closer to Moab, and my anticipation is building. Will it live up to my expectations? Will it be as lovely as everyone says? 
Oh! I hope so!
Drawing closer, I notice sidewalk and lamp posts popping up with tiny little shops and restaurants behind them. Slowly the foot traffic picks up, and I am amazed to see how many people are actually hanging out here. Moab has a "cutesy" feel to it. It reminds me of a village. This place could take the name of village and own it. It has the people, and it has the restaurant, shops, and the gorgeous little decor. I'm loving Moab, and we haven't even gotten even out of the car yet. 
Later, we will come back and soak in your marvelous cutesy ways. 
But first! the national park. It's time for a bit of fresh air. 

It's after six, so the gatehouse is closed, but a little sign on the window reads:
Welcome to Arches National Park, enjoy your visit. 
Or something along those lines. 
Anyways the park welcomed us and beckoned us to carry on up the orangey-red mountain. My heart skips a beat as we turn the curb and climb up, up, up. I have a thing for national parks. I adore them. The US has a treasure trove of them that more people need to look into. Arches isn't as popular as other ones, but already the views are worth driving out her to the middle of nowhere.
We carry on and stop at the first view point known as Park Avenue. The giant rocks that line the right side of vista reminded the finders of the buildings that lined Park Avenue in NYC. Under no conditions do I find any resemblance to NYC. This place makes me forget places like NYC. But nature like art is all up to the person interpreting it. It will forever be interpreted in its own unique way by whomever is viewing it at that moment. No two people will ever see the same tree, mountain, butterfly, or painting in the exact same way. Art is individually interpreted. 

I jump out and run toward the rocks. After taking the necessary shots, I spy a sign that leads to a trail into the valley. Of course, I take it.  Who cares if the trails are primitive! I'm heading out! I make my way into the valley, but am caught short when my mom calls and says that they are not up for a hike.
Oh...
Yeah, I can't just leave them, so I climb back up the trail and head towards my compadres to admire the towering rocks on the right and the giant valley beneath me. The sun is making its way down casting a heavenly glow over the valley. It's breathtaking and totally worth any drive from any distance. It's absolute worth it. 
But we have to make it to Delicate Arch and that does require some hiking for the viewing. 
Jumping back into the car, we continue through the bright red valley which is glowing even more thanks to the sunset.
The path leading up to the arch is steep and treacherous. I pass a nine year old boy who is complaining to is grandpa that he cannot make it up. Talk about extreme bonding with your dearest. I'm sure the boy didn't realize what kind of vacation he was signing up for when he agreed to spend the week with grandma and grandpa. 

The four of us arrive at the top and we take in the splendor and the wonder of the arch. Mom is huffing, but is thankful for my constant prodding her to the top. 
"Yes," she breathes. It's worth it. The valley and the arch all burn in differing shades or red and orange. Those two colors dominate the eyes. Every shade imaginable is present somewhere in your peripheral vision. So quickly I get lost in the view.

Someone says that they are hungry.
Oh yeah...we haven't eaten in a long while. I suppose that is something that we need to fit in within all this gorgeous nature. It's time to head back to Moab! 
I spy a brewery on the way into town and I make a mental note to ask the concierge at the hotel about it.
He gives it two thumbs up, and tells us that not only do that brew all of their own beers in house, but they also make their own sodas, and all their food fresh.
Moab is getting better by the second. We drive back down the one street taking in all the tourists even though the town doesn't feel like a tourist's trap. That's always the best combo. Loads of people, but a low key, real, authentic feel. The brewery is packed which is always a good sign. Of course, this is one of a handful of restaurants, so it isn't like these people have many choices but they still opted to come here.
The food is phenomenal. I have fresh fish and a mound of chips buried in vinegar, salt, and pepper. Everything tastes extremely fresh and delicious. Including the homemade blackberry soda. After our long day of driving and soaking in monumental and archal (that's not a word) views. My eyes have been over exposed. My feet have been overworked. Now it's time for the four of us to gobble up our yummy food, drink our cool beverages, and talk about how wonderful this area is. 
Not bad Utah. 
I guess it's time to put Moab on the map!

No comments:

Post a Comment