This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Euros take over and a Monumental Valley


Apparently, and this is by a very good source, the Grand Canyon is the center of the universe. Or at least it would seem so by my observations over the past 12 hours. (Yes, I count yours truly as very good source.) For dinner last night, my little group decided to indulge at the Yippee-Ei-O! Steakhouse in Tusayan. Yes, that's Yippee with two e's. Right next to the south rim entrance to the grandest of canyons, Tusayan, Arizona couldn't really own the title of a city. You could call it a village, but there aren't many residents around, and I tend to associate people with villages, so let's call it a one-road town...or something like that. This one road town boasts a McDonalds, Subway, Wendys, a few chain hotels, a Mexican restaurant, and an internet cafe. Yes, you know a town has made it on the map if it has an internet cafe! Besides a few restaurants, there isn't much here. Yet, this one-road town gets more variety of internationals than many major cities near my home in NC. Sitting in the restaurant, which was complete with cowboys and cowgirls as waitresses, we witnessed several of the world's continents represented in this themed steakhouse. Spaniards, French, South Africans, Dutch, Japanese, Germans, Slovakians, Swedish, Bulgarians - all walked by our table. Slovakians? Yes, you know the country that broke off from Czechoslovakia and became simply Slovakia and left the other country as just the Czech Republic. You know?? Right?? Well, whatever, I'm a dork.
But, like I said, there were many different people, and you must remember that besides the giant hole in the ground a few miles north of me, there is really nothing else here. Amazing that it only took a hole to suck this many different types of people into this steakhouse. Of course, hole-seekers like all other people need to eat.
 
If you are wondering how I figured out all of these represented nationals (you didn't really think I could pick a Slovakian out of a line up did you? ), you must remember that I have Debbie Wallace with me. Without fail, she said hello to every person that walked by our table regardless of their hurried pace. 
"Hey!"
"Hey!"
"Hey!"
She beamed over and over again. Some people simply ignored her which might have had something to do with a small language barrier, but that's just a guess. Some, however, were flattered by my dearest mother's keen interest in them. They smiled and smiled and told her where they had traveled from and then moseyed over to their waiting dead cow. This restaurant specializes in dead things. (What else does a steakhouse specialize in?) But this one had many of the animals mounted on the wall. The menu boasted rattlesnake if you were up for it, (I was not) and of course lots and lots of different kinds of steaks with beans, corn, baked potatoes and hot rolls. It was the all-American cowboy meal, and yet, we were the only Americans in there, (or so it seemed). Our surrounding guests kept us entertained, and the nationality guessing game ensued at our table. Needless to say, it was a lovely night and left us all saying Yippee...Ok, sorry, but I had to say it.

Now, this morning in the hotel lobby, the people-watching continues. Add in more fellas from England, and Ireland, and I'm close to constructing the entire European map in my head. At breakfast, I'm trying think of all the ways I know to say "excuse me," so that I can get a glass of juice or a cup of coffee. The decor sells the southwest, but the crowd sells something more like New York or Los Angeles. 

More and more people come in and out, in and out. I must give the Europeans this - it's 8 in the morning and the men and women are still dressed spectacularly. They are on vacation in the piping hot desert, and they still manage to do their hair and get all fixed up. I wish I could say the same for myself, but I usually resort to ponytails and jean shorts when I'm in the middle of nowhere. Oh well...I could try...but...yeah never mind. I'm on vacation and on vacation mode I shall stay. 

We are driving up to Utah today, and we have an epic journey before us. Yes, most of the journey is desertland, but, in the midst of this land lies Monument Valley.  My goodness, my mind goes blank when I attempt to think of words to describe Monument Valley. It's monumental? yes. It's vast. It's grand. It takes your sweet breath away. Glorious blue sky meets mammoth rocks jutting up into its atmosphere. Riding along the ever-ending road from Arizona into Utah, you have no idea what to expect from the long continuous road. Fortress-like rocks just appear in the vast land. With no rhyme, reason, or measure. 
They just appear, each with a unique shape. Some give off a dusty red color while others stick to the traditional dusty color of the desert. The palette out here sticks to only a small color range on the ground: brown, red, deep brown, deeper red, a bit of dried green here or there. The azure sky pops against the brown and actually gives the eye a shock. White actually adds a bit to the range with the fluffy clouds that float overhead. Never would I think white would actually add to a surreal painting, but this time it does. Each rock has its own personality. One reminds me of a bear, another a finger, another a fort, another a fish. I desire nothing more than to go and scale them, each and every one, and become a part of their shape, but I don't. I refrain and decide to simply enjoy the views from my car's windows. Crossing into Utah, we do get out to take our state sign picture. It's become "our thing" on this trip. 
 

Many things have become our thing on this trip...signs, outrageously breath-taking views, deep colors, serenity, wonder, beauty, God's marvelous creation, memories, and people. Lots and lots of different people. 
But what is a beautiful world without the marvelous people that feel it?

hmmm enough reflection. It's time to get elevated in Utah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment