This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Welcome to Tennessee

I have decided that sleep is, in fact, nonessential. I definitely in no way need it. To prove my theory, I only slept 3hrs last night. Yes, awake for 21, sleep for 3, then head out for epic road trip. My cycle is brilliant! Road trips don't require sleep. HA! My toughness wore off and I fell asleep after we were on the road for about 30 minutes. Yes, I lasted long.

Waking up, the car was winding through the Smoky Mountains, and we were headed for Biltmore Village to grab the ever faithful vanilla latte. They are absolute necessity if you didn't know.

The Tennessee border greeted us with a grin. I was happy to be returning to my current favorite state, my future home. Oddly, I felt as if I were returning home. In Nashville, we grabbed my beloved bubble tea at Chill Spot. I chose Taro Vanilla which oddly reminds me of a spicy mocha chai if you can imagine that flavor concoction in your mouth. I slurped up every single tapioca pearl and secretly pined for my next meeting with the fat straw. Katelin and Jean found the gummy bear not to their liking. They opted for a fruitier version, but weren't huge fans. It amazes me how my taste buds crave things that others despise. Mother enjoyed a blueberry lemon and was quite content.
Debbie M. then suggested we try a new place called The Perch Cafe where their specialty is crepes! Need I say more??  I had a nutella crepe while Jean ordered a glorious s'mores one. Yum, yum! Thanks, Debbie! It was finally time for our last top for the day: Memphis, Tennessee, the home of Elvis, ribs, and the blues. I've already had a glimpse of all three! First things first, Rendezvous Ribs located right int he middle of an alley but the home of some of the best dry rubbed ribs you'll ever eat. Lining the walls are pictures of famous people who have dirtied their fingers and faces since 1948. We decided to go to Beale St. to check out any live music venues before we ended our evening. The following is why I absolutely love traveling: you never ever know what you are going to get yourselves into. Turns out that every Wednesday night in the summer is biker's night. So Beale St was literally turned into a bike rally! So, Daddy, if you are reading this, your daughter went to a motorcycle rally tonight! ahhh! My poor mom and Jean felt like fish out of the water, or a duck off the pond, or a panda out of the jungle, or whatever silly saying you want to use. Katelin and I were too fascinated to feel out of place. I wanted to interview ever single person I saw on the street and ask them what was running through their mind. I mean this was clearly an exclusive club that wasn't trying to be exclusive. They were just being them. Walking down the street, images of the height of the blues era ran through my mind. The bars and live music venues that lined the crowded street made me want to return to the different time. The roaring of a motorcycle engine would shake me out of my imagination and I would remember that I'm actually in the 21st century now.
Memphis has it's own grainy, raw feel. This isn't the town that people mess around in. This isn't the town for snobs nor is it the town for the less adventurous. It has its own favor, it's own vibe, and no one should walk in thinking that they can inject themselves into it. For some reason, I wanted Dean and Sal with me more than anyone. Memphis belongs in Kerouac's On the Road. I feel that Dean and Sal need to be here. Dean would get his kicks, and Sal would get his kicks from just watching Dean get his kicks. 

I am now going to get my kicks by attempting to sleep. Yes, it's a waste of time, but sometimes, I have no choice in how my time is spent.
I thank God for safety. I thank God for Memphis, but right now, I am really really going to thank Him for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment