This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hello, Elvis. It's nice to actually meet you.

If I dyed my hair jet black, and sprayed it up into a beehive, could I pass for a young Priscilla Presley? Is it at all possible? 
Nah. Didn’t think so. 
Don’t even try to say yes to flatter me because I know you are feel of ridiculousness. 
We are in Memphis, Tennessee. Last night, we covered the ribs, so now its time to cover the Elvis part of the quintessential Memphis.
It’s time to grace Graceland with my presence. Confession: I am not a big Elvis fan. Don’t crucify me. He was before my time. He died in 1977. I was born in 1989. By the time, I realized what music was, Elvis just wasn’t a big topic. Growing up, the only thing I knew about Elvis was that Uncle Jessy on Full House (my favorite sitcom as a kid) was obsessed with him. I knew he wore weird looking white jumpsuits, and I knew that when he spread his arms, it looked like he had wings. The end of my Elvis knowledge. 
OH WAIT! 
Jailhouse Rock! Who could forget jailhouse rock? Ok and on...
The area around Graceland is ghetto. I am not being rude. I am always honest. And the area is ghetto. A tad sad being that Elvis was the “King!”
There’s a rumor going around that I broke the law at Graceland. Well...technically, I didn’t brake the law, I just didn’t follow the exact rules...For the record, I didn’t take drugs. I didn’t get into a fight, and I didn’t steal anything. So in my eyes, its all good. I had a slight disagreement with Elvis’s security. End of story.
Driving up onto the gated property, the majesty of the home begins to take hold. The house isn’t massive by today’s celebrity standard, but it’s beautiful. Touring through the house, I get a sense of who Elvis was a man. He’s very flashy, very giving. He seems to love to be surrounded by people. People he loves to spoil with cars, clothes, and cash. Elvis himself is a fashion icon. He had style when no one else knew what style was. The man had Christian Dior in his closet for goodness’ sakes! But I have to say, one of the coolest things ever is his couch. He has the longest white couch i’ve ever seen! I envy his couch...I want his couch! I shouldn’t but I do. It wouldn’t fit in my living room, but that’s ok because I’d knock down a wall to get this couch. And then I would want his plane. His plane is just too cool. It has gold plated sinks and seat belts...ahhhhh
Walking through his trophy room and looking at all of his gold/platinum records, I realize the icon that Elvis was. He was a superstar. I find myself the nonelvis fan before entering graceland to feeling sadness as I view his grave in the meditation garden. I’m saddened by his early death.
I leave somber and yet thrilled at my discovery of this American legend. I know have the urge to go and buy all of his records...
After all the somberness, it was time for lunch. We did the ribs last night, so now it’s time for something healthy, right?
Nah. We are on vacation.
So, we go to Huey’s Burgers. Their burgers have been voted the best since well...over a decade, and if a burger is voted that good that many years in a row...it cannot be passed up. Criminal behavior. Walking in, I get the feeling of a local guy’s ultimate hangout. There’s toothpick stuck in the ceiling as a joke, there’s rickety chairs and tables, and memorabilia nailed to every inch of the wall. Cobwebs decorate the corners. Jean makes us all laugh by wiping the table with wipes from her purse. My mom looks for a sanitation grade. Katelin and I look at the two of them and smile. I cannot help but wonder if we will be more germ phobic...well “germ aware” when we are older. Right now, we are starving and want a juicy burger. That’s the only thing on our minds. Something grabs our attention first: fried pickles! Yum! Gosh, I love pickles, but fried pickles are heaven. I order the Madison Avenue burger and I quote, “Served on a buttered, toasted sour dough bun and topped with Swiss cheese, grilled mushroom, mayo, lettuce, tomato and sizzlin' bacon.” If that doesn’t make your mouth water, I don’t know what will.Oh and by the way, their giant cut fries and massive onion rings aren’t too bad either. If you are ever in Memphis for any reason whatsoever, go to HUEY’s!
The behemoth of the Mississippi River was the only thing that stood between us and the   great state of Arkansas. Now this was a first for me. Arkansas...another state to add to my goal of the 50. I really didn’t know what to expect their either. I mean besides walmart, razorbacks, and Clinton, what else is it known for? Well, I tell you my impression of it: GORGEOUS. Driving down the I-40, I was amazed by the landscape. The greenery arrested my eyes and wouldn’t release me for anything. The road wound through grasslands and swamplands. It wasn’t anything like any of us expected. Katelin swears it reminds her of southern North Carolina, and yes, I can see that, but to me Arkansas has its own vibe. It’s own grassland feel. One thing about it, if you are on an epic road trip like ourselves, its short. Really short. We drive through the entire state in four hours. Of course, I was driving so that may have some explanation, but by this point its time for some sleep so I will forego that explanation.  
Happy dreaming
~ Albany Drake 

No comments:

Post a Comment