This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Welcome to the District...again (no snow included this time)

Thursday October 21, 2010
Washington, D.C.

This time was going to be different. After all this was October. October and February are two completely different dragons. October radiates with red, orange, yellow, and every shade of gorgeous golden hues. February, on the other, hand is just white. White, white, white. When you're in a city like Washington, D.C., and everything is white, something is up, freakishly up. Eight months ago, I went to Washington, D.C. to visit friends, soak up the culture, devour the food, and plunge through the museums, but none of that exactly happened. Instead the snow apocalypse happened. Yes, apocalypse - no exaggeration. I mean I would consider 24inches of snow an apocalypse, wouldn't you? When you look out your hotel window and all you see is abandoned white streets...I would call that apocalyptical. I felt like an apocalypse had happened. There were the lone men wandering down the streets with their dogs, but that felt like something  out of a horror movie complete with the gray overcast sky.

Needless to say all of my D.C. plans got canceled. I ended up staring out of my window gazing at the vastness of a overpopulated city. Did I check the weather and come prepared with snow boots, gloves, and a toboggan? Umm no...because I'm outrageously intelligent and didn't think about the weather.

But that is allllllll behind me. That and the 12 times I spun out driving home back in february in my tiny mercedes-benz. Did you know that a C350 is not made to drive in the snow? Go figure! Who would have ever thought it? After that I was ready to sell it, buy a hummer and move to Miami, I was so traumatized by snow. The idea of snow repulsed me.

But that's in the past...the PAST I tell you! And now I'm going back to redeem the District in my mind.

Driving back up to DC, the scene is very different. The autumn season has taken over the scenery and the leaves are not drooping with snow, but are radiate in their various colors.

I already have a good feeling about this trip. This trip has special significance anyways. Museums, restaurants, and history will be a part of this quick weekend getaway, but that's not the real purpose for this trip. The real purpose of this trip has something to do with bells and the color white. White...again!
No, but this is not terrifying like snow. This is a wedding dress. My friend is getting married! and it's time to look for the dress.  Although perhaps a wedding dress could be considered terrifying. This is the once and a lifetime opportunity to buy the fanciest dress you'll ever wear to the most important party you'll ever go to. No, that's not terrifying at all...

But first things first, mom and I have some restaurants and a few museums to check out. Our hotel sits on 14th street only a few blocks from the White House. Location is everything in DC, and in a city, you want to be able to walk everywhere. I deliver Pepper to the hotel concierge, drop my bags, and head to grab some lunch.

More later...


No comments:

Post a Comment