This is what I am

Foodie. Book lover. Travel enthusiast. My travel experiences have been bizarre. Things just happen when you're exploring the world. The following stories are taken from my travel journals over the years. Some have probably happened to you, my fellow reader, others may be more than your imagination can handle. Get ready for a journey around the world.

Monday, January 4, 2010

All Hail Victoria!!

Victoria, British Columbia
September 23, 2009
Day 7 of Pacific Northwest Journey


So apparently, we can survive bear infested woods and flying through the air at 50mph, but we can’t handle the ferry schedule of Vancouver. Or perhaps we clearly underestimated the ferry traffic of Vancouver.
With our quick jaunt in the city over, and my adrenaline cravings quenched, we are heading to Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, situated southwest of us down the Strait of Georgia on the southernmost tip of Vancouver Island. There are two ways to get there: seaplane or the ferry. Being we are in possession of our gorgeous rental car, the unforgettable Ford Flex, we opt for the ferry. The vessel is departing at 9am. We leave our hotel promptly at 7:30 thinking that will give us enough time to get across the giant city, get in line for ferry tickets, and board the vessel.
Oh, are we wrong.
We hadn’t underestimated the distance, we had sorely underestimated the traffic getting on the ferry.
“Are all these people going to Victoria?” My mom asks from the back seat as our car moves at maybe 10mph.
I am gritting my teeth and telling myself not to panic. I mean so what if we miss this ferry, there is another ferry...two hours later.
Sighing, I try convincing myself that two hours less in the city won’t kill me, it just aches...a little, or a lot. We finally make it to the ticket booth at 8:55, and to no one’s surprise the ferry in front of us is full.
“But! You are in luck!” The ticket lady commented. (Exclamations added, Canadians are not an enthusiastic bunch). “There is an unscheduled vessel departing today at 10am.”
“Thank you GOD!” I sigh to myself. An hour isn’t bad...all things considering.
We join the already growing queue for the next ferry. I take advantage of the gift shop and go for a stroll along the waterway sucking in the fresh clean air. The siren finally wails and we embark upon the five story vessel. This is their “little ship.” One thing I can say about the Pacific Northwest, their ferries are intense!! This one makes the one we took two days earlier look like a shrimp. Despite the blustering wind, I am determined to enjoy the views from the outside! My scarf is whipped in every direction, my face feels frozen, my ears are ringing, but still it’s worth it. My determination is rewarded with a beautiful palette of colors in every shade of blue imaginable. The water is blue, the sky is blue, even the mountains appear to be a shade of blue. The waterway surrounding me differs between a deep royal blue to an almost translucent shade according to the current. Schools of fish zig zag by, sea otters paddle by on their backs. I am hoping for a glimpse of a whale, but no luck today. It seems that my only chance at viewing whales was in the aquarium back in Vancouver. The boat meanders through the surrounding islands, and at times almost looks as if it is going to collide with the land, but we arrive safely on Vancouver Island around noon.
First things first: FOOD!!!
Victoria was settled by the British in the 1800’s and still carries a predominant English influence in it’s character, food, culture, and government. Having checked into our hotel and freshened up, it’s approaching two o’ clock now, so I suggest we visit a place that offers both lunch and afternoon tea being that’s a very English tradition. Mela’s tearoom is little cafe offering fresh soups, sandwiches and most importantly fresh baked scones and pots of black tea. The sun is now beaming, so we decide to enjoy our delicacies out doors. Excitedly, I slather clotted cream and jam over my warm scone and pour the steaming tea into my little tea cup. The sunshine is a blessing from God. He has given us an extraordinary blessed week with the weather. Since, we have been in this area, it has rained...once! Exceptional for an area that is normally soaked or clouded over.
Being the capital of BC, Victoria is the home of beautiful parliament buildings. The surrounding grounds are landscaped with brilliant flowers, a giant water fountain, and a massive statue of Victoria the monarch for which the city is named. Like a child eager to stretch her legs, I take advantage of the lawn and run around in circles. The exercise in the fresh air is invigorating.
There is an opportunity and we jump at it. Here in Victoria, visitors can sit in on the parliament session. Mom doesn’t want to go in and “watch a bunch of people argue,” so she plops down on the side of the fountain and tells us to take our time.
Travis, Penny, and I climb the elaborate staircase to line up and go through the security procedures. All cell phones, cameras, ipods, have to be turned in much to my dismay leaving me no chance for a photo opt. We go through the metal detector and then get patted down. The leaders of this nation are in the next room debating, no risks can be taken. We file into the upper gallery and sit in the wooden seats. Below us, the three parties of BC are having a dispute over domestic violence. It’s fascinating to watch the legislative assembly at work. At the far left, are the leaders. Members line both sides of the building at luxurious mahogany desks with lap tops and cell phones in front of them. If they hear something they don’t like, they fervently bang their fists on the desks, if they approve, they applaud heartily. They go back and forth, back and forth. Young girls, scurry around refilling water glasses and passing messages to selected members. Finally the leader, taps his gavel and the session is dismissed. We are asked politely by a white haired, stern faced lady to promptly exit to our right. Parts of the building are opened to the public, so we decide to take advantage of this opportunity and wander down the green carpeted hallways. We arrive at the center rotunda and look down at a big group of school children on a field trip. Their jocular whispers are a change from the earlier hushed feeling of the place. The national flag hangs proudly above. On the bottom level is a brief history of the country, the government, their links with the British Empire, the royal visits of Queen Elizabeth, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles, and the late Princess Diana. Pictures of every assembly since it’s opening in 1898 line the hallways, and, needless to say, the styles have changed tremendously!! We read the Bill of Rights and can’t help but compare them to our own.


After we have had enough history and government for the day, we decide to cross to the other side of town for a very different experience: Chinatown! First stop: Silk Road Tea shop where I load up on all kinds of different teas. They have everything under the sky: chai tea mixtures with fresh cardamon and cinnamon bark, black tea infused with vanilla bean, green tea with citrus infusions. This is a tea drinkers heaven! They have black teas, green teas, semi green teas, white teas. The containers range in size as well. Mini pods have enough room for ten cups a tea, or you can opt for the mega pod with room for enough leaves to fill two hundred tea cups!! My goodness!!
Like I said, tea drinkers heaven. I can’t help myself and end up buying four different kinds. Chai tea blend, vanilla tea, citrus green tea, and a yummy cherry flavored tea which I will definitely be icing being I am a southerner. The shop is well worth the jaunt over.
Next up: Fan Tan Alley, a sketchy narrow stoned pathway in the middle of Chinatown that I am hesitant to enter until more tourists head down first. Perhaps, I’m overcautious, but better safe than sorry. Travis and Penny walk with me, but again mom positions herself on a bench just outside the alley to watch a chinese takeout restaurant. The last thing she says to me is, “I would not eat there! There is no way their hygiene is good. Look at the cats running out of the back door.”


I laugh and assure her we aren’t here to eat, just observe.

Penny and I discover a dress up shop and go in and eye the different colored wigs while Travis checks out a record shop across the lane. There is a one room art gallery, a trinket shop, a tourist trap, and a thrift store further down the lane, but Travis is the only one to score something. He buys a much desired U2 album. His face beaming as he exits the dilapidated shop. The owner inside scared me so I decided to go wait with dearest mother in the end while Travis and Penny bartered.
A sign across the street catches their eye. “You have to try it!”
“What?” I ask, eyes wide. They catch sight of the Bubble Tea Bar.
Oh yes, I must!!
For those of you who don’t know, bubble tea is a fad that is growing!! It’s working it’s way east. If you haven’t had it or heard of it, give it time, you will eventually. I had heard of it from several people and I was desperate to try it, but in NC, locations are still sparse and sketchy. Chinatown in Victoria is the best place for my first time.
Hey remember: good things come to those who wait!

Bubble tea is either a fruity or a creamy mixture. The fruity teas consist of black tea and a mixture of fruit flavors, the cream mixture is the tea mixed with heavy cream and one optional fruit flavor. I chose a bumbleberry tea mixture which is black tea with blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry. So what’s the bubble part? Once the tea is mixed, ice is poured into it along with tapioca pearls. A big straw is plucked into the top and walla! The pearls taste like gummy bears. Imagine fruity iced tea or milky tea depending on your preference with flavorless gummy bears in it.


It’s good. I mean really good. Like so good, I could see an addiction forming if there were actually a bubble tea bar located within twenty miles of my home.

The afternoon has now escaped from us, and it is time to once again indulge our taste buds with some good old-fashioned British pub food. There are countless pubs in the downtown area where our hotel is located. But, I want one on the complete opposite side of the harbor. It is time to walk. Walk, walk, walk.
We cross over the antiquated draw bridge leading to the other side of the town. Victoria feels more like a town than a city. It has that small town feel to it compared to the skyscraper city of Vancouver we just left. It is a mile walk to Spinnakers, and by the time, we get there, we are ready for the feast. Located directly on the harbor, it is the perfect to place to watch the sunset. We request a table on their patio, and take our seats eagerly anticipating our meal. After spending most of the day on our feet, we are starving. Their menu boasts an extensive list of in-house brews. I opt for my all-time favorite: an IPA. There’s something about the boldness and the kick that I relish. Travis, Penny, and mom place their orders - we all stick to pub favorites. Penny and I order their fresh fish and chips, Travis orders a house pasta special and mom orders beef and mushroom soup followed by a salad. No matter where she is in the world, the woman cannot get away from the salad menu. The food is outrageously delicious. We swap plates and taste a bit of everything. No one is disappointed in the least. We try each other’s beers and toast to our fun-filled day. At the table next to us, three young men are having a jovial dinner themselves. From the looks of it, they are all in the navy.

“Excuse me?” One of them leans over toward our table, “but we have to ask, the suspension is killing us, but umm...are you in a band?”
We look at each other and burst out laughing. Maybe it’s the beer, or maybe it’s our traveler’s look...I don’t know what it is, but hey, i’ll take it.


Mom is really excited...tomorrow we head back into the United States of America. In my mother's words, "God Bless the USA!!!!!!"


~ Until tomorrow...States bound

No comments:

Post a Comment